Trump’s social media post made no mention of Iran’s nuclear program and highly enriched uranium, which Tehran has sought to negotiate over later, but came amid growing optimism among officials over a potential deal to end the war.
Earlier on Saturday, a regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts said the US and Iran were closing in on an agreement.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the closed-door deliberations, also told the Associated Press that “last-minute disputes” could blow up the efforts.
This is not the first time in recent weeks that a deal has been described as close.
The official said the deal would include an official declaration of the end of the war, with two-month negotiations on Iran’s nuclear program. The strait of Hormuz would be reopened and the US would end its blockade of Iran’s ports .
Iran, meanwhile, had signalled “narrowing differences” in negotiations after Pakistani army chief Asim Munir held more talks in Tehran.
Donald Trump made the announcement via a Truth Social post, saying he had spoken to a host of leaders in the Middle East by phone, including a separate call with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which he said “went very well”.
He added: “Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”
As we reported in the summary, the Fars news agency, which is close to the regime in Tehran, has said Trump’s assertion that an agreement was nearly final was “inconsistent with reality”.
Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the Iran war and the wider Middle East crisis.
Donald Trump has announced that a peace deal with Iran “has been largely negotiated”, after calls with a Pakistani mediator, Gulf allies and Israel, potentially paving the way for an end to the war launched by the US and Israel in February.
Trump wrote that the “final aspects and details” of a “Memorandum of Understanding” are still being discussed and “will be announced shortly”, but said the strait of Hormuz will be opened as part of the deal.
However, Iran’s Fars news agency, which is close to the powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, reported that the strait would remain under Iranian control, and that Trump’s assertion that an agreement was nearly final was “inconsistent with reality”.
Three senior Iranian officials told the New York Times the agreement would stop the fighting in Iran and in Lebanon, and could release $25bn in Iranian assets frozen overseas, with a nuclear agreement to be negotiated within 30 to 60 days.
We will bring you the latest developments, as they happen.
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: theguardian.com






