Tehran: Iran on Sunday rejected US President Donald Trump’s claim that the Strait of Hormuz would return to its previous status under a proposed agreement, with Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency stating that Tehran would continue to maintain control over the strategic waterway.
According to the report, Iran has agreed only to allow the number of passing ships to return to pre-war levels. However, it clarified that this “in no way means a return to free passage” as it existed before the conflict.
Fars News Agency stated that management of the Strait of Hormuz, including shipping routes, passage timings and permits, would remain “exclusively under the authority of Iran.”
The report also said that although Trump had earlier described negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme as a key condition for any agreement, Iran has made no commitment on the issue and the nuclear file has not been discussed.
According to Fars News Agency, American officials have acknowledged in several messages to Iran that Trump’s social media posts are largely intended for domestic publicity and media attention in the United States, advising Tehran not to attach significance to them.
Trump earlier said the United States was engaged in discussions with leaders from several countries regarding efforts related to peace and stability in the Gulf region, including matters concerning Iran and the Strait of Hormuz.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he had spoken with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkiye, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain regarding a memorandum of understanding pertaining to peace.
He further claimed that an agreement had been “largely negotiated,” subject to finalisation between the United States, Iran and other countries involved in the discussions.
“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” Trump said.
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: deccanchronicle.com




