Kangaroos coach Kevin Walters will watch Wednesday night’s State of Origin series opener knowing up to 15 of the players in action could take on host nation Australia at this year’s World Cup.
The former Test player and Maroons Origin coach knows it will be up to him and his players to develop “spirit and culture” within the team to stop that tally from growing in future years.
The changes to the Origin eligibility rules at the start of the year have paved the way for New Zealand’s Casey McLean and Briton Nikora to make their debuts for NSW and Queensland respectively, along with Addin Fonua-Blake, who made a cameo for the Kiwis at the 2017 World Cup, and England’s Victor Radley (both NSW).
The big question being asked once the Origin rules were overhauled in February was what impact would the change have on the Kangaroos’ set-up in years to come.
The ARL Commission agreed to allow New Zealand and England players to now feature in Origin games, provided they still met the Origin criteria, including being born in either state, or were a NSW or Queensland resident before they turned 13.
As former Australia coach Mal Meninga said at the time about the increasing number of Samoans, Tongans and Kiwis featuring in the interstate series: “My fear is for the kid who actually wants to play for Australia, but is overlooked for Origin.”
The tally of 15 players is a huge jump from the four Origin players who took on Australia at the last World Cup on home soil in 2017. Those four players were James Tedesco (Italy), Josh Papalii (Samoa), Jarryd Hayne (Fiji) and Andrew Fifita (Tonga).
This year’s NSW squad includes Brian To’o (Samoa), Stephen Crichton (Samoa), Kotoni Staggs (Tonga), Tolu Koula (Tonga), Fonua-Blake (Tonga), Haumole Olakau’atu (Tonga), Radley (England), Jacob Saifiti (Fiji), McLean (New Zealand), while for Queensland Kalyn Ponga (New Zealand), Tabuai-Fidow (Samoa), Rob Toia (Tonga), Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Samoa), Briton Nikora (New Zealand) and Kulikefu Finefeuiaki (Tonga) are committed elsewhere.
Of those players, Staggs and Fa’asauamaleaui are a chance of remaining with Australia, while Queensland debutant Sam Walker is in the sights of the England camp.
Despite the growing number of Origin players he won’t be able to select, Walters remains confident Australia have plenty of depth, and he listed a handful of Kangaroos hopefuls who would not be in action at Accor Stadium on Wednesday.
Origin players likely to play against Australia at the World Cup
NSW: Brian To’o (Samoa), Stephen Crichton (Samoa), Kotoni Staggs (Tonga), Tolu Koula (Tonga), Addin Fonua-Blake (Tonga), Haumole Olakau’atu (Tonga), Victor Radley (England), Jacob Saifiti (Fiji), Casey McLean (New Zealand).
Queensland: Kalyn Ponga (New Zealand), Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Samoa), Rob Toia (Tonga), Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Samoa), Briton Nikora (New Zealand), Kulikefu Finefeuiaki (Tonga)
But he also hopes that if NSW and Queensland selectors were stuck on two players for the one position that they would lean towards the player who is eligible for Australia.
“I’m not concerned at all,” Walters said on Sunday. “And how many players who were on last year’s Kangaroos tour are now sitting on the sidelines this Wednesday night, including Dylan Edwards, Reece Walsh, Keaon Koloamatangi and Tom Dearden [who is injured], just to name a few.
“Australia has had a lot of success at recent World Cups, and it’s been great to see the emergence of other nations [over] the past 10 years. That’s a good thing for the international game.
“I would believe [Origin] coaches and selectors in the future will take into consideration the Australian team at the end of the year.
“Things have changed from years gone by, I accept that. At the end of the day, you want young players aspiring to wear the Kangaroos jersey, and that’s up to myself and the rest of the group of players and staff to make sure that remains a top priority on the players’ to-do list.”
Tonga coach Kristian Woolf was glad to see a healthy representation of his players in the Origin series.
“You only get better by playing in big games, and understanding what it takes to win those games,” he said.
Samoa coach Ben Gardiner agreed, and was quick to point out that a player such as Penrith’s Blaize Talagi being brought into Blues camp to help with opposed sessions was also a benefit for the 2022 World Cup finalists.
From our partners
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au



