Police continue search for kidnapped Sydney man Chris Baghsarian, 85, who they say was taken by mistake

0
2

CCTV footage has provided police with clues searching for an 85-year-old Sydney man who investigators say was abducted by mistake in a botched underworld kidnapping.

Chris Baghsarian was alone in his North Ryde home when he was taken and bundled into a dark-coloured SUV on Friday morning.

Police hold grave concerns for the grandfather, who needs daily medication, after they were called to the home by neighbours who heard a commotion about 5am.

When they arrived at the home, police found signs of forced entry.

Det Acting Supt Andrew Marks said Baghsarian had been in his bedroom when three men broke in.

“Police consider that Mr Baghsarian was not the intended target … you have the wrong person,” Marks said. Further details were due to be released at midday on Monday.

New vision, published by Nine News, shows a dark Toyota pulling into Northcott Street in North Ryde before Baghsarian was taken. A man in high-visibility clothing is seen emerging from the car, followed by an accomplice.

Moments later, they are seen pushing the elderly man across the landing as the car moves closer.

Police said a burnt-out vehicle matching the description of the SUV involved had been found nearby.

They would not confirm a Daily Telegraph report that a video had emerged showing Baghsarian tied up.

Baghsarian’s family, who were not involved in any criminal activity, were concerned and shocked by his kidnapping, Marks said.

“They’re quite surprised that this has happened, and what they want is the safe return of their father,” he said.

“Please release Mr Baghsarian. Take him to a hospital. Take him to somewhere that’s safe, and we’ll do the rest.”

It’s believed Baghsarian is a widower who has lived alone for almost four years.

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: theguardian.com