PORT ST. LUCIE — To Juan Soto, there isn’t much of a mystery: The Mets, following a roster overhaul, have improved from last season, when they underachieved and missed the playoffs.
“We had a great team last year,” Soto said Sunday upon reporting to spring training. “This year we have, I feel like, an even better team. It’s a great feeling. Definitely I played with those guys last year, but it’s a new year. We have forgotten about anything that’s gone on last year. Anything that happens, we focus on this year.”
Those subtracted include Pete Alonso, Brandon Nimmo, Jeff McNeil and Edwin Díaz.
The new lineup features Bo Bichette and Jorge Polanco in addition to Soto and Francisco Lindor.
Alonso’s departure — he received a five-year deal worth $155 million from the Orioles — might have the biggest impact on Soto, who hit directly ahead of the slugging first baseman in the lineup.
Even with Alonso’s presence, Soto led MLB with 127 walks last season.
Bichette has been mentioned by manager Carlos Mendoza as a strong candidate to bat third, behind Soto.
“We’re going to have Bo — I trust him,” Soto said. “He’s a great hitter. He can hit home runs and he can hit for average, so I think he’s great protection.”
Soto, as he prepares for his second season with the Mets after arriving on a record $765 million contract over 15 years, will be switching from right to left field.
It’s a position he played early in his career with the Nationals and as recently as 2023 with the Padres.
Mendoza broached the subject in recent weeks with Soto as the player prepared for left field in the upcoming World Baseball Classic for the Dominican Republic.
“Mendoza asked me if I am comfortable [in left] and I told him I’m comfortable everywhere,” Soto said. “Whatever is going to help the team, I’m open to do it.”
Soto indicated that at the time he agreed to the change the Mets were searching for outfield help and “most of the options” were right fielders.
The Mets pursued Kyle Tucker — who ultimately signed with the Dodgers — before acquiring Luis Robert Jr. from the White Sox to play center field.
It left the Mets with a vacancy in right field that might be filled by the organization’s top position prospect, Carson Benge.
“I’ve heard he’s a great athlete,” Soto said. “He can play center field and right field, but hitting-wise I haven’t heard too much about him. We’re going to see how we go through spring training, but I have heard nothing but good things about him so I am really excited to see what he brings to the team.”
Soto, as measured by Statcast, was near the bottom of MLB in range, at minus-12 outs above average (1st percentile).
He acknowledged that defensive improvement is a goal following a season in which he finished third in the National League MVP voting with a .263/.396/.525 slash line with a career-best in homers (43) and stolen bases (38).
“I think defense is going to be one of the things that I am going to try to improve a little bit more in my game — try to bring it up to the level of the running game and the hitting,” Soto said. “Trying to bring it up there is definitely not easy, but we’re going to work for it.”
The Post reported in November that Soto and Lindor had what was described as a chilly relationship.
In recent weeks Mendoza indicated maybe the clubhouse was too “corporate” last season.
Soto was asked for his perception of the clubhouse culture last year.
“That’s in the past — we forget about it,” Soto said. “We focus on 2026.”
How can the Mets prevent a recurrence of any clubhouse issues this season?
“Have fun, forget about all the drama and everything,” Soto said. “Focus on the game and win some ballgames.”
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: nypost.com




