Jalen Brunson helped the Knicks out last time.
He hopes they have his back on the next one.
The star Knicks guard opened up in a wide-ranging profile in Vanity Fair published Tuesday and discussed the four-year, $156.5 million extension inked before 2024-25 and kicked in this season.
The move was particularly team-friendly, as he could have made $113 million more if he had waited one year to sign a four-year deal.
But when he hits free agency again — which he can if he doesn’t take his player option for 2028-29 — he will be eligible for a max contract of five years and projected to be worth a little over $417 million.
He hopes the Knicks play ball.
“If I’m thinking about playing well to make sure I get paid, that could mess with me,” Brunson told Vanity Fair. “I play best when I have a free mind, and that did that for me. A lot of people say I sacrificed for the team. One hundred percent I sacrificed for the team. But most importantly, I made sure my family and I are taken care of. … Obviously we’d love for them to do right by me. I think anyone would. I feel like I sacrificed.”

An All-Star in three straight seasons, Brunson, 29, has continued to play at a high level this year. He’s averaged 27 points (on 47 percent shooting) with 6.1 assists and 3.3 rebounds per contest. In what’s been a streaky, topsy-turvy year for the Knicks, they’re still firmly in the thick of the Eastern Conference race, sitting in third place with a 35-20 record, six games back of the Pistons for first.
The 29-year-old Brunson, however, said earlier in February that he isn’t concerned so much about regular-season results come the spring and summer months.
“I don’t look at regular-season games as a barometer because, come playoffs, it’s a different basketball game,” Brunson told reporters. “Especially when you talk about a seven-game series. I’ve been with different teams that went to the Finals or played deep in the playoffs that lost the season series to teams and still won in the playoffs.”
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: nypost.com






