Albanese slams Hanson for anti-Muslim comments, links remarks to violence

0
2
Advertisement
Brittany Busch

Anthony Albanese has slammed Pauline Hanson for her latest anti-Muslim comments, drawing a direct link between the One Nation leader’s commentary and escalating threats of violence towards minority groups.

The prime minister issued a strong rebuke of the minor party leader on Thursday, as her party’s support swells in the polls, and Hanson’s popularity is higher than that of any other leader, according to this masthead’s Resolve Political Monitor.

The prime minister has attacked Pauline Hanson for her “disgraceful” comments.Alex Ellinghausen

Earlier this week, Hanson suggested there were no good Muslims and then later singled out the majority-Muslim suburb of Lakemba in Sydney as somewhere she did not feel safe.

Lakemba Mosque on Wednesday reported receiving a threat to kill worshippers on the eve of the city’s Ramadan celebrations – its third graphic threat in less than a month.

Advertisement

Albanese labelled Hanson’s comments as disgraceful.

“It just doesn’t take the country forward at all to just dismiss people because of their faith and who they are, and that is what Pauline Hanson does,” he told Nova Melbourne.

When the prime minister was asked on ABC Radio Sydney whether he thought there was a link between Hanson’s commentary and the threat of violence, he said, “of course there is”.

“It legitimises it, it mainstreams it, and Pauline Hanson is a divisive figure,” Albanese said.

Advertisement

“She’s made a political career out of seeking to divide Australians against each other, and what we need is more unity, not more division.”

The prime minister has for months urged Australians to turn down the temperature after the Bondi massacre where 15 people were killed and dozens more wounded, sparking a febrile political debate over religion, race, and immigration.

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson recently returned to the Senate after being banned for seven days for donning a burqa as a stunt. Alex Ellinghausen

Albanese on Thursday questioned Hanson’s record as a politician, saying she had no credible solutions to offer the Australian people.

“If people think through, what is the solutions that she’s offering?” Albanese said.

Advertisement

“There’s no economic policy. There’s nothing on cost of living; she’s voted against every cost-of-living measure. She’s opposed any of the industrial relations reforms that have led to higher wages, such as same jobs, same pay.”

Albanese said Hanson was often a no-show in the Senate during sitting weeks, instead spending her time campaigning.

He did not answer a question over why it was the case that a growing number of voters were drifting to One Nation because they felt the major parties were not delivering for them, instead saying: “Pauline Hanson is ready to divide people”.

The prime minister added: “I understand that people are frustrated and that fear can be a powerful emotion, but what we need in this country is hope, is optimism, and is looking forward.”

Albanese condemned the latest threat of violence directed at Lakemba Mosque as outrageous, and called for the perpetrators to face the full force of the law.

Advertisement

He also took aim at senior Liberal figures, including former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett, for suggesting their party should consider doing preference deals with One Nation to boost the Coalition’s electoral chances.

“It used to be the case that One Nation was isolated and put last on how-to-vote cards of the mainstream political parties, Labor and Liberal,” Albanese said.

Federal Coalition MPs swiftly condemned Hanson’s comments – Liberal senator Andrew Bragg labelled the remarks “disgusting”, while Nationals MP Matt Canavan said they were “totally unAustralian”.

It is unclear how the Coalition will treat preferences for its conservative rival. A Farrer byelection, set to occur in coming months after former leader Sussan Ley’s retirement, will be the first test as the Liberals, Nationals, One Nation, Labor and a popular independent could all contest the seat.

Advertisement

Brittany BuschBrittany Busch is a federal politics reporter for The Age and Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via email.

From our partners

Advertisement
Advertisement

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au