Foxborough threatening to block World Cup games over $7 million security issue

0
2

Foxborough, Mass., is threatening to give the seven 2026 World Cup matches slated to be hosted at Gillette Stadium a red card if it doesn’t get an answer on where the more than $7 million in security costs are going to come from — and when they will come. 

Foxborough has not signed off on the needed entertainment license for the matches at the Patriots’ home stadium, and during Tuesday’s town select board meeting, Foxborough leaders made it known that until they can get a clear answer, they will not issue the license. 

As part of Gillette Stadium hosting World Cup matches, the Kraft Group is leasing the Stadium to FIFA, and in order to sign their temporary landlord-tenant agreement, the town needs to sign off on the entertainment license. 

A general view of the game between the New England Revolution and the D.C. United during the first half at Gillette Stadium on November 01, 2020 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. Getty Images

“We’re not prepared to issue this license unless everything is in place,” select board vice chair Stephanie McGowan said, according to the Boston Globe. I’ve seen people saying, ‘Oh, there’s no way, they won’t [issue the license].’ I’m going to tell you, this board will not issue this license.”

The concern for the Town of Foxborough select board members is the cost of having to foot the security bill for the World Cup matches at Gillette Stadium, which will be dubbed Boston Stadium for the tournament, when it is an international event.  

“I’ve got to be honest with you, it baffles my mind that you guys are sitting here in front of me right now and we still have no idea where this money is coming from,” select board member Mark Elfman told host committee CEO Mike Loynd and two FIFA reps in attendance at Tuesday’s meeting.

“I’m shocked you’re not sitting right here in front of us right now, saying, ‘We’ve got the money for you.’ Shocked.”

The town has said it cannot afford to front the $7.8 million cost needed for security for the 39-day spectacle, with board member Bill Yukna describing it as “the equivalent of seven Super Bowls here.” 

The Boston Globe previously reported that Foxborough was supposed to receive an answer about the funding on Jan. 30, but Loynd mentioned on Tuesday night the uniqueness of the current situation. 

The Boston Host Committee said that grant funding will cover security costs, but they are waiting on the White House Task Force and FEMA to dole out the money. 

“The White House task force is working on a daily basis to work with DHS and FEMA on that. I don’t think I can say anything more about that. We’re being told it’s expected any day now,” Loynd said, according to WBZ-TV


A general view of the flyover prior to the AFC Divisional Playoff game between the New England Patriots and the Houston Texans at Gillette Stadium on January 18, 2026 in Foxborough, Massachusetts.
A general view of the flyover prior to the AFC Divisional Playoff game between the New England Patriots and the Houston Texans at Gillette Stadium on January 18, 2026 in Foxborough, Massachusetts. Getty Images

A spokesman for the Boston Host Committee did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment. 

The select board meets again on March 3 and the license issuance deadline is set for March 17. 

Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey said Wednesday that she is confident “that this will all get sorted out,” but comments from the select board on Tuesday seemed to paint a less certain picture.

“You guys are still looking at us saying, ‘We don’t know where it’s coming from,’ and we have townspeople who are saying, ‘There’s two billion-dollar organizations that are running this, the Krafts and FIFA — what’s the problem?’” Elfman said. “And now we’re coming around to where we’ve got to wait on grant money from the federal government. Flabbergasted.”

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: nypost.com