Nathan Cleary hit with two-match ban

0
5
By Christian Nicolussi
Updated

Champion Panthers co-captain Nathan Cleary will miss Penrith’s opening two games after being charged for a high shot on Wests Tigers’ exciting rookie Heamasi Makasini.

Cleary was sin-binned and booed by the Tigers’ faithful in a trial at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night after he collected Makasini in the head with his right shoulder.

He apologised to Makasini before referee Ashley Klein told him he was on report and off the field for 10 minutes.

The match review committee on Saturday morning issued Cleary with a grade-two careless high-tackle charge, which is a two-match ban with a guilty plea. He faces three weeks should he contest the charge and lose.

The Panthers are due to open their latest campaign away to the Broncos. The club’s pursuit of a fifth straight title ended against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in the preliminary final last year. They then host Cronulla, another preliminary finalist from last year, in Bathurst in round two.

One thing some Panthers officials were banking on after the 26-12 loss to the Tigers was the fact Makasini appears to dip just before contact.

Cleary looked in good touch against the Tigers, with his cutout pass for winger Brian To’o setting up the opening try of the night.

Nathan Cleary could be in trouble for this high shot on Heamasi Makasini.Credit: Fox

Jack Cogger, who did not feature against the Tigers, is expected to start in the halves now Cleary has been suspended.

Advertisement

Cogger said he was more than ready to slot in if Cleary was officially forced to the sidelines. The 28-year-old made a key late cameo for the club in the 2023 grand final win, before spending two seasons at the Knights.

“I’ve had a few little niggles during the pre-season, it was more precaution tonight, but I’ll be ready to go in two weeks if needed,” Cogger said.

“We’re all optimistic. There wasn’t too much in it. They don’t need to tell me [to be ready] – I know that’s my role if I’m required.”

Makasini bounced back to his feet and was able to play on. The 18-year-old sealed the left-wing spot after an excellent performance, which included a couple of barnstorming runs down the touchline.

He was stopped by fullback Dylan Edwards on one occasion, but then ran straight over the representative No. 1 a second time to score. The four-pointer will not be forgotten any time soon by those inside the inner-western Sydney venue. The try came six days after he bagged a hat-trick in a trial against the Roosters.

Heamasi Makasini scored an excellent try for the Wests Tigers.

Heamasi Makasini scored an excellent try for the Wests Tigers.Credit: NRL Photos

Some fans on social media likened Makasini’s bump on Edwards to All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu and what he would do to the last line of defence in any given rugby Test.

The Tigers left edge of Jarome Luai, Samuela Fainu, Taylan May and Makasini will rack up their share of points this year if they can all stay fit.

Tigers co-captain Jarome Luai said of Makaisini, who you can already jot down as an early contender for NRL rookie of the year should he stay fit: “That was a big play. There’s been a lot of outside pressure, but a young guy with the world at his feet, it’s important for me to make sure he’s staying level-headed, and doing the little things right.

“I’ve had a few nightmares during the pre-season when going up against him. He’s got all the physical attributes, and for a young dude, staying right mentally is a big part of this game for him now.

“He was making a few TikToks [after the hat-trick of tries last weekend against the Knights]. They can express themselves, as long as they’re getting the reps in the bank and preparing well. He played pretty well tonight.”

Tigers coach Benji Marshall was unsure whether to play most of his big guns, considering they do not play for another three weeks because of a round-one bye. But the pleasing hit out against a genuine premiership contender in Penrith will give them plenty of confidence.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary and his assistants were forced to watch the game in the outdoor press area after a rogue airconditioning unit left the coaches’ box unbearably cold.

In the earlier trial, a 38-34 win by the Dolphins over the Warriors, two players were binned, including Francis Molo who was hit with a three-game ban for his high shot on Jackson Ford.

News, results and expert analysis from the weekend of sport sent every Monday. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

Most Viewed in Sport

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au