William and Kate make shock BAFTAs appearance in first engagement since Andrew arrest

0
2

Prince William and Kate, the Princess of Wales, made a shock appearance at the BAFTAs this afternoon that marked their first appearance since former senior royal Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.

The two hit the red carpet in style today as they stepped out for the star-studded British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTAs), an event they have attended together for years since 2017. Their presence is key for the awards ceremony, with William having served as the fifth president of the organisation since 2010.

Their latest appearance is especially noteworthy, however, as it is the first time they will be seen together since William’s uncle was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Prince and Princess of Wales


The Prince and Princess were spotted in a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it appearance
(
WireImage)

Andrew, who was released under investigation following his arrest, has plunged the Royal Family into deep embarrassment over his links to convicted paedophile sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein. Documents revealing the pair’s continued correspondence following his convictions, while not implicating the ex-Prince, have added to a shameful saga that has continued since 2019.

William and Kate’s expected appearance at the event this weekend had resurrected an awkward Andrew joke told by a comedian in a previous rendition of the awards ceremony in 2020. That year, as Australian comic actor Rebel Wilson presented the award for best director, she took a poorly timed shot at the royal family as William and Kate sat in the audience.

She said: “Good evening distinguished guests and those that don’t identify as that. It is really great to be here, at the Royal Andrew… Royal Harry… no, sorry, Royal Phil- at this royal… palace place.”

Andrew on all fours over a woman


Andrew has brought continued embarrassment to the Royal Family
(
US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE/AFP via)

The 2020 awards came after what had been a difficult year for the firm, which had seen the Prince’s brother, Prince Harry, abdicate and flee to the US with Meghan Markle, and Andrew participate in a now infamous BBC interview about his Epstein links. Neither the Prince or Princess appeared to take the joe especially well, as they were seen smiling politely from the audience.

Rabble rousing Ms Wilson’s joke was also poorly received by the general public, who had some choice words for the comedian after watching the exchange.

Some viewers called the joke “cringe” while others said it was “disgustingly unfunny” as they sympathised with Kate and William having to awkwardly sit as it was told. One person wrote: “Three cheers for the producer who cut to William and Kate after Rebel Wilson’s Prince Andrew and Harry joke.”

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: mirror.co.uk