The legal team for one half of a couple accused of spying for Russia have squabbled with the prosecution in court over whether a nearly 300-page statement of facts effectively outlines the case against their client.
Kira Korolev, 41, who was in the Australian Army, was arrested alongside her labourer partner, Igor Korolev, in 2024 at their home in Everton Park on Brisbane’s northside.
The Australia Federal Police allege the former information systems technician, who held an ADF security clearance and served in the army for years, travelled to Russia undeclared while on long-term leave from the army in 2023.
While she was away, it is alleged she told Igor how to log into her official work account from their Brisbane home to gain access to material on defence computer systems to send to Russia.
The case triggered national concerns over foreign interference as the pair were charged with preparing to carry out an act of espionage.
Multiple devices have been seized from the couple, with contents that need to be translated from Russian. The prosecution is still working its way through this material.
On Friday in Brisbane Magistrates Court, Igor Korolev’s legal aid solicitor Anastasia Stoenko sought to have the basis of the prosecution’s case further detailed, noting the statement of facts is 288 pages long.
“That contains a lot of information but not, perhaps, what the basis of the case is.”
Given the volume of the material, Stoenko said they could not prepare appropriately without further information.
Commonwealth prosecutor Ellie McDonald argued the statement of fact sufficiently outlines the basis of the allegations against the couple.
Kira Korolev’s legal team from Phillips Crawford Lawyers did not make any requests other than another court date after the upcoming bail application.
Stoenko’s request was denied by the magistrate, who said while it is important for the defence to understand in general terms what evidence is being relied upon, this would form part of the committal process.
The Korolevs remain in custody, though Kira’s legal team filed an application for bail last month.
Her lawyer, Alan Phillips, told the court that given the complexity of the case, a half-day hearing – expected to proceed in the Magistrates Court – would be allocated for the application in March.
McDonald said bail would be opposed in the application, which was expected to return to court on March 31.
The matter will now also be back in court on April 17.
From our partners
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au







