Burton cleared for Vegas but Bulldogs sweat on Thompson

0
1

Bulldogs five-eighth Matt Burton will be on the plane to Las Vegas for the season-opener after being cleared of a hamstring tear, while prop Leo Thompson is hoping to lock in his place with the travelling squad when he has scans on his calf first thing Tuesday.

Canterbury head of football Phil Gould confirmed via social media Burton would play at Allegiant Stadium against St George Illawarra on Sunday week if fit, though the club has the option of being extra cautious with their No.6 given they have the bye in round two.

Matt Burton in action in the trial against Newcastle.

Matt Burton in action in the trial against Newcastle.Credit: AAPIMAGE

Burton’s potential replacement, Sean O’Sullivan, said he was ready to partner Lachie Galvin in the halves, but was backing Burton to be 100 per cent.

Burton was immediately brought from the field during Saturday night’s trial against Newcastle when he discomfort in his left hamstring after playing the ball. He came to the sideline, was forced to make a tackle on Knights winger Dominic Young, then disappeared up the tunnel.

Gould, however, broke the good news on Burton to his followers on X, telling them: “Matt Burton MRI scan today shows no tear of the hamstring. Awaiting full report, but appears good to go.”

“No reason to take any risks in round one. No reason to take big risks anytime when you have depth in your squad. However, if Matt Burton is right to play, he’ll be our five-eighth.”

New recruit Thompson felt tightness in his calf while in camp with the Maori All Stars and was due to return to Sydney late Monday.

Gould said Thompson would undergo scans first thing Tuesday. “At this stage it’s considered precautionary, but essential, nonetheless,” he wrote.

Ciraldo confirmed after the big trial win over Newcastle that O’Sullivan, who arrived from the Dolphins over the summer, would slot straight in if Burton needed more time.

Advertisement

“I’ve done heaps of reps in the halves,” O’Sullivan said. “I’m rooting for Burto. I want him to be super fit, I’m sure he will be.

O’Sullivan said he had been impressed by what he had seen of Galvin so far in pre-season training. “I didn’t want to judge Lachie before I had actually met him,” O’Sullivan said.

“From the outside looking in, I felt bad for him [last season], but as soon as you meet him, he’s a breath of fresh air who loves his footy – he loves his horses, too. What he went through will only hold him in good stead [moving forward]. He’s got a 10- to 15-year career ahead of him.”

The Dogs are the only club heading to Vegas with a squad exceeding 22 players, mainly to help with opposed sessions. Ciraldo told the playing group Monday that Sam Hughes, Jonathan Sua, AJ Jones, Jed Reardon, Taye Cochrane and Cooper Toy would all be on the plane on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Dragons’ Hame Sele (HIA) is in no danger of missing round one, nor is Josh Kerr, who was pulled from the Indigenous All Stars side after rolling his ankle at training.

Most Viewed in Sport

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au