Germany joins growing ranks of countries considering social media bans

0
1
Advertisement

Andreas Rinke

Stuttgart: Germany’s ruling conservatives have passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

At a party conference in the city of Stuttgart, Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s Christian Democratic Union also called for fines for online platforms that failed to enforce such limits, and European Union-wide harmonisation of age standards.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz at the CDU federal party conference in Stuttgart, Germany.AP

A growing number of countries, including Spain, Greece, France and Britain, are looking at similar social media bans or restrictions on accessing platforms like TikTok or Instagram.

It follows the example of Australia, which last year became the first country to force platforms to cut off access for children under 16.

Advertisement

European nations are more broadly ratcheting up pressure on social media companies, risking a backlash from the United States. President Donald Trump has threatened tariffs and sanctions if EU countries impose new tech taxes or online regulations that hit US firms.

“We call on the federal government to introduce a legal age limit of 14 for the use of social networks and to address the special need for protection in the digital sphere up to the age of 16,” said the motion that passed on Saturday (German time).

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi (left) talks with French President Emmanuel Macron during the AI Summit in New Delhi, India last week.AP

Merz’s coalition partners the Social Democrats have also backed social media curbs for children. Pressure from both parties in the coalition makes it increasingly likely that the federal government will push for restrictions.

However, under Germany’s federal system, media regulation is a state-level responsibility and states must negotiate with each other to agree consistent nationwide rules.

Advertisement

Last week French President Emmanuel Macron said one of his priorities for the Group of Seven presidency will be protecting children from the harmful effects of social media and artificial intelligence, calling on countries like India to support the measures.

“There is no reason our children should be exposed online to what is legally forbidden in the real world,” Macron said at the India AI Summit in New Delhi on Thursday. “One of our priorities during the G7 presidency will be children’s protection against AI and digital-related abuse.” France holds the rotating presidency of the G7 in 2026.

Macron highlighted France’s initiative to ban social media networks for children under 15.

Modi echoed Macron’s push to protect children online during his own address at the summit on Thursday. “We have to be more alert about children’s safety,” Modi said. “Like their schools’ syllabus is curated, AI space should be child safe and family-guided.”

Advertisement

India’s Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said last week that the government was holding discussions on “the right way to go forward” with possible age limits for social media and is also addressing the issue of deepfakes with platforms.

Reuters, Bloomberg

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

From our partners

Advertisement
Advertisement

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au