‘It’s broken the rules:’ Ukraine to boycott Paralympics opening ceremony over Russia entry

0
4

Every Event. Every Medal in 4K.

Watch live & on demand.

Stream now

Milan: Ukrainian Paralympians will boycott the opening ceremony at the Milano Cortina Paralympics because of the decision to allow Russian athletes to compete under their flag, according to the Ukrainian Paralympic boss.

Valeriy Sushkevych, the president of National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine, said the Ukrainian athletes would not attend the March 6 opening ceremony, but would participate in the Games.

Vladyslav Heraskevych carries the flag for Ukraine in the opening ceremony.Credit: AP

“Our team will not be participating in [the] opening ceremony,” Sushkevich told this masthead late on Thursday [Friday morning AEDT], calling the International Paralympic Committee (IBC) decision to permit Russia and Belarus athletes to play under their flags “terrible” and suggested that the Paralympic peak body “supports [a] state killer.”

“We ask not to present our flag in opening ceremony together with Russia,” the Ukrainian Paralympic chief added.

The Ukrainian boycott came as the local organising committee and the International Olympic Committee distanced themselves from the Paralympics governing body’s decision to allow Russian athletes to compete under their country’s flag. This followed “absolute opposition” to Russian inclusion by the Italian government.

Russia was at first banned by from Olympic competition because of the nation’s state-backed doping program, which pre-dated the Ukraine invasion.

The IOC has not permitted Russians to compete under their flag in the Games, though some Russian athletes are allowed to compete without their flag as non-aligned, neutral competitors.

Members of Ukraine’s Paralympic team hold us a sign for peace in 2022.

Members of Ukraine’s Paralympic team hold us a sign for peace in 2022.Credit: AP

But the Paralympic ban had been imposed not due to the war or the doping, but because the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) ruled that Russia had been “promoting the war through sport”, as IPC chief communications officer Craig Spence told this masthead.

Advertisement

“They were suspended by the IPC then under our rules because they broke our independent rules by promoting the war through sport,” he explained. This had been done by athletes using the Z symbol in Paralympic sport, denoting support for the war.

Asked what had changed, Spence said the IPC no longer had evidence that Russia had been “promoting the war through sport over the last two years.”

Sushkevych said Ukrainian athletes would still compete with a strong team in the Paralympics.

“We will be participants in Paralympic Games in Milano Cortina and fight for sport victory. We fight for peace during Paralympic Games.”

The Ukrainian Paralympics boss confirmed an earlier remark that they did not wish Russian president Vladimir Putin to have a victory by forcing their withdrawal. “Exactly.”

He had consulted European leaders of the Paralympics on Thursday evening, he said. Sushkevych objected to the Russians being granted six berths without what he felt was proper qualification, at the discretion of the IBC. “It’s terrible. It’s broken the rules.”

The different rulings on Russia, between the Olympics and Paralympics, also exposed the rift between Europe, North America and Australia, and many African, Asian and Latin American nations on the issue.

The IOC and the Milano Cortina 2026 organisation were at pains to say that the decision to allow the Russian and Belarus athletes to compete under their flags belonged entirely to the Paralympics organisation, which operated independently.

The Paralympic decision would end Russia’s exile from international sporting arenas.

The decision to allow Russia and its ally Belarus back into the Paralympics – the Russians were not allowed to compete under their flag in Paris – was based on a vote last September when 99 countries favoured Russia’s return and 77 against. It then required the sporting bodies, such as skiing, to allow Russian participation.

While the vote was a secret ballot, it is known that Australia voted against Russia’s inclusion, in line with most western nations, sources with knowledge of the vote have confirmed.

“The Italian government expresses its absolute opposition to the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow six Russian and four Belarusian athletes to participate in the Paralympic Games in Milan-Cortina in 2026,” Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said in a statement also signed by the Sports Minister Andrea Abodi.

“Russia’s ongoing violation of the ceasefire and the Olympic and Paralympic ideals, supported by Belarus, is incompatible with the participation of their athletes, except as neutral individual athletes,” the ministers’ statement added.

The Ukraine-Russia war has been the source of friction and controversy at Milano Cortina 2026, particularly over the banning by the IOC of skeleton pilot Vladyslav Heraskevych from competition for wearing a helmet adorned with the images of athletes who died in the conflict.

The IOC’s chief spokesman Nick Adams said the IOC had taken a different position on the Russian athletes competing under their flag than Paralympics (IPC). “The IPC is an independent organisation. They had a general assembly and they voted for this. That is their decision.”

Only six Russian and four Belarussian athletes would compete under their flags. The Paralympics, while separate, relies heavily on the IOC for funding.

The Winter Olympic Games is broadcast on the Nine Network, 9Now and Stan Sport.

Most Viewed in Sport

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au