Barcelona’s charm offensive towards Atletico Madrid star Julian Alvarez continued today with central defender Pau Cubarsí describing him as “one of the best strikers in the world”.
Alvarez has emerged as one of Barca’s key targets this summer, although much will depend on the outcome of next month’s presidential election, due to be held on March 15, to determine the budget made available to boss Hansi Flick.
The Argentina international is enduring an underwhelming season compared to his debut campaign in Spain, scoring just seven times in 24 La Liga games, but is highly regarded at Camp Nou and scored one and made one as Atletico hammered Barca 4-0 in the first leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final last week.
Cubarsi would love to have him as a team-mate with Barca planning for life without veteran Pole Robert Lewandowski, whose contract expires this summer.
Defender Cubarsi said: “Julián is a spectacular player, I have played against him a lot and I always have to defend well. He is one of the top strikers in the world, he is Barça level, but both Robert and Ferran [Torres] are very good and help us a lot.”
Table of Contents
Araujo also wants Alvarez at Barcelona
Cubarsi’s praise echoes that of his fellow centre-half Ronald Araujo, who told Mundo Deportivo last week: “Alvarez is a great player, for me he is one of the best strikers in the world. You can see the quality he has.”
Asked if he would fit in at Barca, Araujo said: “The best have to be at the best club, which is us. That’s obvious. But it’s not up to me to do that job or make that decision.”
Despite Barca’s very public courting of Alvarez, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo is convinced the former Manchester City man is happy in the Spanish capital.
“Araujo can say whatever he wants, but I don’t think Araujo is anyone at Atletico Madrid to say anything,” Cerezo said.
Pressed further on the speculation, Cerezo added: “It harms the player, it harms us and it harms everyone, especially when we don’t know anything.
“The players play where they want and Julian wants to play at Atletico Madrid. I am totally convinced.”
Alvarez is under contract until 2030, having joined from City in a deal worth up to €95 million (£81.8 million) in 2024.
He scored 29 goals in 57 games in all competitions last season.
We believe in comebacks – Cubarsi
The Copa defeat at the Metropolitano was a major setback for Barca, who also lost at Girona on Monday night, but Cubarsi is confident the Catalans can still get through against Diego Simeone’s men.
The 19-year-old said: “We are a squad that has already shown that we believe in comebacks and have carried them out. We are going to try again with all our strength and with the support of our people who never fail us.
“We will follow the gameplan that the coach sets for us and we will do it with all the commitment and desire possible as it cannot be otherwise.”
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: 101greatgoals.com




