Logan? That’s in NSW: Fonua-Blake eyes Blues berth after Origin eligibility change

0
1

He was born in Brisbane and spent his first year playing with Logan Brothers, but Addin Fonua-Blake is a true blue New South Welshman and is desperate to be unleashed up front alongside Payne Haas now that the State of Origin eligibility rules have been changed.

Fonua-Blake had been denied his dream of playing for NSW because he played one game – off the bench – for New Zealand against lowly Scotland during the 2017 World Cup.

Previously, any player who had represented New Zealand or England was deemed ineligible for Origin.

But Monday’s decision by the NRL to allow Kiwi and English players to take part, provided they were born in or played junior football in NSW or Queensland before they turned 13, was the news Cronulla enforcer Fonua-Blake had been waiting for.

Penrith’s Casey McLean is another who is now eligible for NSW, along with England representative Victor Radley, while Queensland are free to select Sharks back-rower Briton Nikora and Melbourne’s Jahrome Hughes, who was still undecided about pulling on the Maroon jersey because of his love of New Zealand.

Fonua-Blake’s Wikipedia entry states he was born in Meadowbank, in Sydney’s western suburbs, but the 30-year-old pointed out that was incorrect.

Addin Fonua-Blake is now eligible for NSW.Credit: Getty Images

“I don’t know where I was born, bro,” Fonua-Blake said on Tuesday. “I was actually there [in Brisbane] until I was about five. I played one year with the Logan Brothers then came to Sydney.

“Even if there’s still a photo from around 1999, it wouldn’t be good quality anyway.

Advertisement

Payne [Haas] is a generational talent, when he finishes up he’ll be an immortal of the game; if I get the chance to play alongside him, it will be pretty special.”

Fonua-Blake played the bulk of his football in the premier state, including as a junior for Mascot Jets, makes him eligible for the Blues.

Big bopper: Fonua-Blake in action.

Big bopper: Fonua-Blake in action.Credit: Getty Images

Fonua-Blake was crowned NRL Dally M prop of the year in 2023, 2024 and 2025, a form line that would surely have had him picked in every NSW team.

And when you consider players receive $30,000 for every Origin game, it follows that the previous eligibility rules cost Fonua-Blake a sum in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. But he was not complaining.

“I can’t be too greedy, and I’m happy with what I’ve been paid the past few years,” Fonua-Blake said.

“I would have loved the rule to have been changed a few years ago so my good mate Jason Taumalolo could have played [Origin] in his prime. It’s done now, the rules have changed. I know a lot of lads in the game are happy because they finally get the chance to go up against the best.

“I loved the brutality of it when I used to watch [Origin] growing up. I loved how the refs would put the whistle away and let the players decide who the winner of the game is. Big rivalries like that, it’s something in sport people love.”

The Blues now have serious front-row depth, with Fonua-Blake and Haas, Melbourne’s Stefano Utoikamanu, South Sydney’s Keaon Koloamatangi and Mitch Barnett, once he makes a full recovery from a ruptured ACL, competing in the position.

McLean was an Under-19s NSW player who knew he was giving the chance to play Origin when he chose to represent New Zealand in Tests, but last year said he was open to playing for the Blues if the rules changed after coach Laurie Daley made some discreet inquiries.

McLean told this masthead last September: “I’m happy I’ve had the chance to represent my culture. Mum and dad grew up in New Zealand, so there are no regrets there.

“If the rules were to change, that would be cool, not just for myself, but other players in the same boat – especially given I grew up here in Sydney.”

Meanwhile, Canterbury recruit Leo Thompson is out of the season opener in Las Vegas – and will miss up to ten weeks with a grade-three calf tear.

Given Thompson’s injury occurred on representative duty, and he will miss club football as a result, Dogs officials have begun conversations with the NRL salary cap auditor about receiving cap relief. The Dogs will be eligible for compensation should Thompson miss up to three months of football.

Most Viewed in Sport

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au