Perth father was diving in a pair during spearfishing competition when tragedy struck at Rottnest Island

0
5
Advertisement

The Perth man killed by a shark while spearfishing off Rottnest Island on Saturday was taking part in a members-only spearfishing competition targeting pelagic fish at Horseshoe Reef when tragedy struck.

Steven Mattaboni, 38, was bitten on the legs by a four-metre white shark while on the surface of the water, about 20 metres away from a boat.

It is understood he was taking part in a pelagic pairs competition at the reef, where two divers work in tandem to dive and spear together. The competition group included members of the Bluewater Freedivers of WA club, of which Mattaboni was the secretary.

The reef, a kilometre offshore, has minimal coral cover and can reach depths of 18 metres.

Advertisement

Friends rushed Mattaboni to shore while performing CPR, but he could not be saved.

The father-of-two was also a member of the Kingsley Football Club, who released a statement in the wake of his death.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Steven Mattaboni, a premiership player and much loved friend to many within our club community,” it read.

“Mattas was one of the most genuine people you could meet. He had a smile and presence that could light up a room, and he will be remembered fondly by all who had the privilege of knowing him.

Advertisement

“Our thoughts and love are with his family and friends during this incredibly difficult time, especially his wife Shirene and their two young daughters.”

It is not the first time the Kingsley Football Club has been struck by tragedy, with seven players killed in the Bali bombings in 2002 during an end-of-season football trip.

Mattaboni was also a free diver.

WA Police Minister Reece Whitby said the state government was not considering any plans to try and find the shark.

“I think it’s very early to be talking about mitigation issues, it’s an enormous tragedy, the support needs to go to that man’s family and the first responders,” Whitby said on Monday.

Advertisement

The last fatal shark attack off Rottnest Island was in 2011, when a 32-year-old American tourist was killed while diving at Little Armstrong Bay.

Shark researcher Daryl McPhee warned other ocean users to be mindful in the days after the attack.

Steven Mattaboni and his wife Shirene.

“I don’t think there’s elevated risk for anybody going in the shallows around Rottnest Island at this particular time, but obviously if anybody else is planning on spearfishing, or jumping in from the boat, that’s where the risk lies,” McPhiee told 9News Perth.

A GoFundMe page, set up to support Mattaboni’s wife and two young daughters, had already raised more than $14,000 by Monday morning.

Advertisement

“I am creating this fundraiser to help support Shirene and her two beautiful young daughters [almost three years old and four months olds] following the sudden and heartbreaking loss of her husband Steven,” the fundraiser said.

“Steven was truly one of a kind — a loving husband, devoted father, and an incredibly kind and genuine man who brought warmth and happiness to those around him. Above all else, he absolutely adored his three girls and was the most amazing dad.

“No family should ever have to face such an unimaginable tragedy, especially so suddenly. As Shirene begins to navigate life without her soulmate while caring for their young daughters, we would love to rally around her with love, support, and practical help during this incredibly difficult time.”

From our partners

Advertisement
Advertisement

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au