Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ continues evidence in alleged indecent assault, sexual touching trial

0
2

Day nine of Alan Jones’ trial

By Michaela Whitbourn

Warning: Graphic content

Hello and welcome to our live coverage of day nine of Alan Jones’ lengthy criminal trial on charges of indecent assault and sexual touching. My colleague Clare Sibthorpe will be bringing you the latest from the courtroom today.

The NSW Local Court in Sydney’s historic Downing Centre court building will hear further evidence today from complainant “C”, the second of six men who have accused the former 2GB host of unwanted touching and kissing over a 20-year period.

Alan Jones leaving the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday.George Chan

Jones denies the claims and is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Jones is charged with indecently assaulting “C” eight times over a five-month period by touching and kissing him without his consent.

“C” told the court on Friday that Jones bombarded him with “love-bombing” in text messages before the alleged incidents started.

He said he told Jones “no” repeatedly before the then 2GB host kissed him for the first time in the lift of the broadcaster’s harbourside apartment, but the “extraordinary” power imbalance stopped him speaking out as the alleged assaults continued.

He also told the court that Jones touched him under the table on the penis over his clothing at a lunch in Sydney in front of other guests. He said one guest asked him after the lunch if he had “copped a feel”, a remark that left him “deeply embarrassed”.

The Crown alleges that Jones indecently assaulted or sexually touched six men without their consent between 2003 and 2020, and is seeking to prove 22 charges against him.

Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, said during her opening address to the court that the credibility and reliability of the complainants’ evidence would be tested.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) or the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.

8.58am

‘C’ says Jones asked him to delete text messages

By Michaela Whitbourn and Clare Sibthorpe

Complainant “C” was asked during his evidence on Friday how he responded to text messages from Alan Jones that he said contained a romantic overtone.

“‘Big kisses, big hugs’, that wasn’t a way we’d previously engaged with each other, and all of a sudden, they were the texts I started to get,” he said.

Alan Jones leaving the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday.George Chan

The man said he was working out how to keep Jones on side and avoid incurring his wrath. He said that Jones knew he was in a relationship with a woman.

“If I didn’t respond to those messages… I don’t know what would’ve happened,” he said.

8.50am

‘The golden goose’ and complainant ‘C’

By Michaela Whitbourn and Clare Sibthorpe

Warning: Graphic content

The court heard on Friday that complainant “C” worked as a staffer to Jones about 20 years ago.

Jones is charged with five counts of indecent assault in relation to “C”. The former 2GB host denies the allegations.

Alan Jones outside the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday afternoon.George Chan

Five of the charges relate to alleged kisses in the lift of Jones’ harbourside apartment or the 2GB lift, while three relate to alleged touching.

These are the key parts of the complainant’s evidence so far.

  • The complainant said he met Jones as a young man at a function and was “star-struck”. Eventually, he started working for the broadcaster in a $45,000-a-year role that involved driving and running errands. Working for Jones was his dream job, he said.
  • He told the court that Jones bombarded him with “love-bombing” in text messages before the alleged incidents started.
  • Jones kissed him for the first time in the lift of the broadcaster’s harbourside apartment, he said. He gave evidence that he said “no” repeatedly but that the “extraordinary” power imbalance stopped him speaking out as the alleged assaults continued.
  • “C” said Jones touched him under the table on the penis over his clothing at a lunch in Sydney in front of other guests. He said one guest asked him after the lunch if he had “copped a feel”, a remark that left him “deeply embarrassed”.
  • Jones also touched him in the car while he was driving the broadcaster, he said.
  • “C” gave emotional testimony that he felt regret every day that he “didn’t fight back or say ‘no’ louder, but you couldn’t”. “Alan was protected, he was the Golden Goose,” he told the court. “There was no way in the world I could have said anything to anyone.”

Pinned post from 8.30am

Day nine of Alan Jones’ trial

By Michaela Whitbourn

Warning: Graphic content

Hello and welcome to our live coverage of day nine of Alan Jones’ lengthy criminal trial on charges of indecent assault and sexual touching. My colleague Clare Sibthorpe will be bringing you the latest from the courtroom today.

The NSW Local Court in Sydney’s historic Downing Centre court building will hear further evidence today from complainant “C”, the second of six men who have accused the former 2GB host of unwanted touching and kissing over a 20-year period.

Alan Jones leaving the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday.George Chan

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au