‘Disdain for women’: Albanese under fire for femicide royal commission response

0
2
Advertisement
Brittany Busch

Anthony Albanese has come under fire for his response to a woman questioning whether a royal commission should be launched into violence against women after a string of shocking murders.

Radio presenter Christie Hayes, a host on Hobart’s Hit 100.9FM, challenged the prime minister on Tuesday over what his government was doing to address four alleged domestic violence killings in as many days.

She said a petition for a royal commission into femicide, launched by advocacy organisation The Red Heart Movement, had hit more than 90,000 signatures, and asked whether the government would launch the nation’s highest form of inquiry.

“Look, there’s calls for royal commission about everything,” Albanese said, before Hayes interrupted.

Advertisement

“Deaths of women are pretty paramount, wouldn’t you say?” she said.

“Yeah they are, but you’ve got to work out, what does a royal commission do besides fund lawyers?” Albanese replied. He said Australia already knew what caused domestic violence and what the solutions were.

“We know there’s a need for more counselling and for community workers. And we need to get on with action when it comes to these issues. That’s something my government is doing,” he said.

“Royal commissions … they’re just processes that take time, cost a lot of money, rather than money going into services. That’s the question before people.”

Advertisement

The Red Heart Movement’s founder, writer Sherele Moody, said Albanese’s response was dismissive, and she accused the prime minster of hypocrisy for previously touting the importance of royal commissions, such as into defence and veteran suicide.

“For him to turn around and dismiss a royal commission into femicide in that tone of voice with the words that he used, and without even sitting down and maybe actually having a chat with me about it, and the families that are backing [one], it is really hypocritical, and it’s disgusting, and it shows a real disdain for women, especially dead women,” she said.

“I just think that the prime minister really has no idea about how angry and sad and exhausted women are.”

Sherele Moody is an activist and writer known for her work on femicide and violence against women.Breeana Dunbar

The prime minister has previously been criticised over a dispute with a domestic violence advocate about whether he lied about being allowed to speak at a rally, and former Australian of the Year Grace Tame has labelled Albanese condescending after he attempted to apologise for calling the sexual abuse survivor “difficult”.

Advertisement

In the interview on Hobart radio, Albanese labelled domestic violence a scourge, and said the government was “throwing everything at this”.

In Sydney on Monday night, a man allegedly murdered his wife and two autistic sons in an attack that police allege was meticulously planned and inspired by a similar crime in Perth earlier this year.

A few days earlier, a woman in her 60s was allegedly killed in a suspected murder-suicide in Tasmania.

The government does not track killings of women in real time. Moody’s Femicide Watch project had counted 29 women killed this year as of Wednesday.

The sector is split on whether a royal commission would be helpful or whether it would redirect funding away from crucial services.

Advertisement

Advocate Jess Hill said on Wednesday the government needed to act on recommendations already made.

“We have so many, so many reviews that have taken place, even just over the last few years. So many inquiries that have given really clear guidance on how to not just respond to this issue, but also to prevent it,” Hill told ABC radio.

Fair Agenda campaign manager Daisy Gardener said frontline services were not being adequately funded after last week’s budget did not increase resourcing for the sector.

“Governments need to actually increase the capacity of services, not keep them at their current level, which means that women are waiting up to three months for crisis refuge accommodation in New South Wales,” Gardener said.

Advertisement

“We hear again and again that it’s everyone’s responsibility, and when it comes to attitudinal changes, yes, it is a whole-of-community response, but when it comes to funding … that is clearly the responsibility of our federal and state governments, and they continue to make the choice to underfund these services, and it’s just despicable, really.”

The government’s latest Status of Women Report Card said 28 women were killed by their current or former intimate partner in 2025.

If you or anyone you know needs help, call Lifeline on 13 11 14 (and see lifeline.org.au), national domestic, family and sexual violence counselling, information and support service 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) or Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800.

Cut through the noise of federal politics with news, views and expert analysis. Subscribers can sign up to our weekly Inside Politics newsletter.

Brittany BuschBrittany Busch is a federal politics reporter for The Age and Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via email.

From our partners

Advertisement
Advertisement

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au