Frustrated Zach Merrett weighs up his future again

0
4
Advertisement
Sam McClure

Essendon star Zach Merrett is again weighing up his future at Tullamarine, with rival clubs increasingly of the belief the former captain will seek a trade at season’s end after last year’s failed push to join Hawthorn.

Merrett explored a move away from Essendon at the end of last season but the move ultimately failed to materialise, despite serious interest from Hawthorn and a late play from Melbourne.

Zach Merrett after the loss to Fremantle.AFL Photos via Getty Images

Despite amassing 26 disposals on Sunday, Merrett wasn’t his influential self in the 43-point drubbing by Fremantle, a result that put more pressure on his coach Brad Scott.

The Bombers head into Friday night’s Dreamtime match with injury-ravaged Richmond in an unenviable position, needing to win soundly to avoid a fresh wave of scrutiny.

Advertisement

Scott delivered his players a spray after an uncompetitive first quarter against the Dockers which he described on AFL 360 as “as animated and direct as I have been in my coaching career”, and remains unwavering in his commitment to the club’s long-term strategy.

Industry sources familiar with the situation believe the 30-year-old Merrett has told people close to him that he is again open to leaving Essendon at the end of the season as frustration grows over the club’s position.

Any talks between Merrett’s management and the club over a possible contract extension, which were reported earlier in the season, have moved to the backburner.

Merrett, his management, and Essendon were contacted for comment.

Advertisement

Hawthorn are still interested in Merrett, according to a source familiar with the Hawks’ thinking, not willing to speak publicly about list matters.

The Hawks remain convinced Merrett would be the perfect, experienced addition to their emerging core and are expected to aggressively revisit their pursuit if the 29-year-old formally opens the door to another move.

Hawthorn offered two first round picks, a second round pick and fringe midfielder Henry Hustwaite last year, a deal that was staunchly rejected by new president Andrew Welsh, who took control of the situation midway through the trade period.

During the closing stages of last year’s trade period the Demons launched what one industry figure described as a “late throw at the stumps” for Merrett, exploring whether a deal could be pulled together if talks with Hawthorn stalled.

Advertisement

At the time, then Melbourne chief executive Paul Guerra (an Essendon supporter and admirer of Merrett’s), believed the Demons were a chance of entering the trade scenario late in the piece, with Christian Petracca’s name raised to potentially head the other way. Petracca ultimately found a new home at the Gold Coast.

Melbourne’s interest is likely to intensify given their revival under new coach Steven King.

The Demons possess the financial flexibility to mount a major play for elite talent.

The combination of premiership potential and significant salary cap space shapes as an attractive proposition for Merrett if he decides his future lies away from Essendon.

Any move, however, would be complicated as Merrett is contracted until the end of 2027, meaning Essendon would hold leverage in negotiations.

Advertisement

Merrett, who relinquished the captaincy and changed managers after last year’s trade attempt, continues to perform at an elite level and is widely viewed as one of the AFL’s most consistent midfielders given his running power, leadership qualities and ability to impact both inside and outside contest.

The prospect of losing a player of Merrett’s calibre would represent another major blow for a club still battling to overcome years of instability.

He has been one of the few constants through coaching changes, false dawns and external scrutiny.

Welsh told this masthead last month the Bombers had taken on Merrett’s suggestions about the club after the failed trade, while also declaring his backing for Scott.

“At this stage, all the metrics that we’re following and the work that Brad’s doing with the playing group, we see no reason why he’s not going to be our next premiership coach,” Welsh said after Gather Round, when the Bombers posted their only win of the season so far, over Melbourne.

Advertisement

Of Merrett, he said: “We didn’t want to back out of our strategy of what was best for the club, and that was to keep Zach and listen to Zach around the areas that we needed to work on as a club, which we did … and he’s seen those changes have been made already, he’s in the best frame of mind, he’s performing really well.”

But there is also a growing acknowledgement among rival clubs that Merrett’s patience may be wearing thin as the latter stages of his career come into sharper focus.

Sam McClureSam McClure is an award-winning AFL journalist and broadcaster.Connect via X or email.

From our partners

Advertisement
Advertisement

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au