Updated ,first published
One man is dead and four others are in hospital after a shooting in Sydney’s south-west.
It is believed to be the latest instance of gangland violence amid ongoing conflict between organised crime groups.
“We don’t know the motive for the attack, but we certainly believe that it was a targeted attack,” NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon told 2GB on Wednesday.
Police were called to Liverpool Hospital about 8.30pm on Tuesday after two men, aged 28 and 32, presented with multiple wounds.
Despite treatment for a gunshot wound, the younger man died a short time later. The other man remains in a serious but stable condition with a neck injury, police said.
Ten minutes after the call, two other men aged 22 and 23 arrived at Fairfield Hospital.
The 23-year-old had been shot in the neck while the younger man had a shoulder injury, police said.
The pair, both in a serious condition, have been transferred to other hospitals for further treatment.
About 9.50pm, a 19-year-old presented to Liverpool Hospital in a stable condition with a shoulder injury.
A crime scene has been established at a home on Arbutus Street, Canley Heights, where forensic officers were gathering evidence on Wednesday morning.
The 28-year-old man who died in hospital has not yet been formally identified.
Investigators believe the five men were in the Arbutus Street home together, but the circumstances remain unclear.
Two cars used to drive the men to hospital have also been seized.
Lanyon said it was too early to say whether any of the men were linked to particular gangs, but the attack had the characteristics of an underworld assault.
“This is what we see when organised crime becomes involved, the indiscriminate use of violence, the complete disregard for human life, is something that we won’t tolerate as an organisation,” he said.
Get alerts on breaking news as it happens. Sign up for our Breaking News Alert.
From our partners
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au









