US blindsides Taiwan with unexpected arms sales ‘pause’

0
1

The island said it was unaware of any changes to military sales after a senior US official said they had been put on hold

The Taiwanese government has said it was unaware of any “adjustments” to US arms sales after a senior US official said they had been put on hold over the attack on Iran and Washington’s effort to replenish domestic stockpiles.

Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump said arms deliveries to Taiwan were “a very good negotiating chip” to deal with China, appearing to contradict Washington’s decades-old policy that legally binds it to provide the island nation with weaponry. At the time, Taiwan tried to downplay Trump’s remarks, with President Lai Ching-te hailing the sales as “the most important deterrent” against a potential conflict in the region. Beijing has long condemned close US military cooperation with the island, regarding it as a violation of the One-China policy and as meddling in its internal affairs.

The “pause” in arms sales was confirmed by US Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao during a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing on Thursday. Asked about future sales to the island, Cao pointed at the US-Israeli attack on Iran and the need to make sure “we have everything” with the foreign arms sales set to “continue when the administration ⁠deems necessary.”

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: rt.com