Government ‘urgently seeking’ status of 11 Australian Gaza flotilla activists detained by Israel

0
1

Eleven Australians attempting to deliver aid to Gaza as part of a global flotilla have been detained by Israeli forces in international waters off the coast of Cyprus, with the government “urgently seeking” confirmation of their welfare.

On Monday local time, the Global Sumud Flotilla alleged the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) encircled 38 ships that were part of a fleet of 54 boats which left Turkey last week for the embattled strip, which remains under naval blockade by Israel.

The ships, carrying 319 activists from dozens of nations, were about 250 nautical miles from the coast of Gaza when they were surrounded, organisers said. Footage showed the Israeli military approaching in speedboats and boarding the vessels in broad daylight.

The Israeli foreign ministry posted to X that activists from what it called the “provocation flotilla” had been transferred to Israeli vessels, alleging “no aid” had been found on their boats, a claim disputed by the flotilla.

The detained Australians are academics, doctors, students, activists and film-makers who have urged the federal government to protect them.

They include Anny Mokotow, Dr Bianca Pullman-Webb, Neve O’Connor, Violet Coco, Gemma O’Toole, Sam Woripa Watson, Zack Schofield, Helen O’Sullivan, Juliet Lamont, Isla Lamont and Surya McEwan.

Four of their parents and loved ones held a press conference in Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon, where O’Toole’s mother, Suzie O’Toole, said she was “terrified” for her 23-year-old’s wellbeing and O’Connor’s father, Chris O’Connor, said the federal government had “lost [its] decency” for not intervening.

Sign up for the Breaking News Australia email

Ethan Floyd has returned to Australia but was among six Australians detained by the IDF when 22 boats were intercepted off the coast of Greece two weeks ago.

He said it wasn’t a “radical act” to attempt to deliver food, water and medicine to a “starving population” in Gaza.

The Australians were held on an Israeli vessel for two days before being released in Crete, and alleged they and their colleagues were subject to mistreatment.

“This is now the second time Israel has illegally abducted Australian citizens in international waters, and our government has said nothing,” Floyd said.

In a video distributed by flotilla supporters as the boats were being intercepted on Monday, documentary film-maker and mother, Juliet Lamont, can be heard saying “it’s all on now”.

“Here we are in international waters, and our governments are completely failing us. Do everything that you can to keep us safe.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Dfat) said it was “urgently seeking” confirmation of the Australians’ welfare.

“We will continue to make clear our expectation that any detainees receive humane treatment in line with international norms,” they said.

“We understand people want to respond to the humanitarian situation in Gaza, but we continue to urge Australians not to join others seeking to break the Israeli naval blockade as they will be putting themselves and others at risk of injury, death, arrest or deportation.”

Israel’s blockade, described by the UN as a “direct contravention of international human rights and humanitarian law”, has been in effect since 2007, restricting movement in and out of the Gaza Strip.

Cypriot authorities confirmed the interceptions took place outside its territorial waters without previous notification and were condemned by Turkey as an act of piracy.

Dfat remains in contact with local authorities in Israel. Last month, the foreign affairs minister, Penny Wong, arranged for Dfat to provide a briefing on current travel advice for the region and consular services ahead of the flotilla departures.

The Greens’ deputy leader and spokesperson for international aid and global justice, Senator Mehreen Faruqi, said “it is frightening how little the Australian government cares”.

“Israel is able to commit acts of piracy and kidnapping in international waters with complete impunity because countries like Australia refuse to stand up for their citizens,” she said.

Lawyers Greg Barns SC and Bernadette Zaydan, who are representing some of the Australians onboard the flotilla, said Israel had demonstrated a “documented pattern of harm” against civilian humanitarian workers.

“Australia is a party to all core international human rights treaties, and accordingly carries binding obligations under international law,” they said.

“We urge the Australian government to provide urgent diplomatic and consular measures be taken to monitor the safety and wellbeing of Australian participants .”

Italy, Indonesia and Spain have pressed the Israeli government to release the detained activists. On Monday, Spain’s foreign minister, José Manuel Albares, said he had summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires in Madrid over what he called “a new violation of international law barely 15 days after the previous interception”.

The husband of prominent activist Coco said Australia should “follow the lead of the Spanish prime minister and publicly condemn these blatant acts of piracy”.

Brad Homewood said he last spoke to Coco, who was on board the Perseverance, via FaceTime on Monday evening, when the vessel issued an ‘orange alert’ prior to the IDF boarding and detaining its eight passengers.

He said the French embassy advised they would be transported to Ashdod prison in Israel, a claim not verified by Guardian Australia.

Homewood described his wife as a “genuine humanitarian with a heart of gold”.

Ireland’s president, Catherine Connolly, has expressed concern for her sister, Margaret, who was also part of the flotilla and reportedly detained.

Wong, the Israel foreign ministry and the Israeli embassy have been approached for comment.

Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: theguardian.com