Rohith Nair and Martyn Herman
Pep Guardiola will leave Manchester City at the end of the season after a decade in charge, the club
announced on Friday, bringing an end to one of the most successful eras in English soccer and one of the most influential managerial reigns of all time.
The departure of the 55-year-old Catalan coach will close the book on a remarkable chapter that has seen City transform into a footballing juggernaut.
Guardiola, who took charge of City in 2016, has won six Premier League titles – including four in a row – three FA Cups, five League Cups and the Champions League, but his side have not won the league in two years.
“Don’t ask me the reasons I’m leaving. There is no reason, but deep inside, I know it’s my time,” Guardiola said in a statement.
“Nothing is eternal, if it was, I would be here. Eternal will be the feeling, the people, the memories, the love I have for my Manchester City.
“We worked. We suffered. We fought. And we did things our own way. Our way.”
Although City sealed the domestic cup double this season, Guardiola saw his dreams of a seventh Premier League crown dashed when they drew 1-1 at Bournemouth on Tuesday to hand Arsenal the title, with City set to finish second.
His final game in charge is Sunday’s home fixture against Aston Villa.
Guardiola had arrived in Manchester with a resume already stuffed with silverware from Barcelona and Bayern Munich, taking over from Manuel Pellegrini in July 2016.
After inheriting a successful club financed by the Abu Dhabi United Group, Guardiola will walk away having built a footballing empire. The result was not just utter dominance – evidenced by record-breaking campaigns like the 100-point 2017-18 season with 106 goals scored – but also relentless consistency year after year, including a record four league titles in a row.
However, the spectre of the 115 charges of alleged breaches of the Premier League’s financial rules looms large over his tenure at the club.
England leave Foden and Palmer out of World Cup squad
England will head to next month’s World Cup without several familiar faces after midfielders Phil Foden and Cole Palmer missed the cut for manager Thomas Tuchel’s 26-man squad on Friday.
There was a surprise recall, however, for former Brentford striker Ivan Toney after playing only seven minutes of international football since Euro 2024.
Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo was selected after a return to form in the second half of the season but there was no place for his United teammate Harry Maguire, who has been a mainstay of England’s defence in recent tournaments.
Maguire had earlier confirmed he hadn’t made the squad, posting to social media that he was “shocked and gutted” by the decision, but that he “wished the players all the best” in the tournament. His Mother, Zoe Maguire, wasn’t so forgiving, writing on X that she was “absolutely disgusted”.
“You couldn’t have done any more. Hold your head high… Disgraceful,” she continued.
Real Madrid right back Trent Alexander-Arnold, as expected, was overlooked, having featured only once since Tuchel took charge of England in January 2025.
Brentford’s veteran midfielder Jordan Henderson, a firm favourite of Tuchel for his leadership qualities, becomes only the second England player to make four World Cup squads after Bobby Charlton.
Tuchel’s ruthless streak and loyalty to players who have performed under his tenure, rather than those with big reputations, was again in evidence as the German selected many players without any previous tournament minutes.
Only eight of England’s 2022 World Cup squad in Qatar, when England reached the quarter-finals, make this year’s selection.
“I love the difficult decisions, and I love the tough decisions — they bring a certain edge,” Tuchel told the England official app after the squad was announced.
“That is what you need to go all the way. It is hard to please. In the end, we have to pick the squad that we as a staff are convinced of and really believe in.
“Everything I know about international football and everything I hear about international football is that it is about chemistry. It is about the energy, connection and trust between me and the players.”
Manchester City’s Foden and Chelsea’s Palmer had both been vying for the No.10 role but have found themselves overtaken in Tuchel’s pecking order after disappointing seasons.
There was also no place for Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, despite an impressive season in which he is the joint top English goalscorer in the Premier League alongside Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
Watkins is one of seven forwards in the squad, which will again rely heavily on the goals of captain Harry Kane.
England are one of the main favourites for the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico. They are in Group L with Croatia, Ghana and Panama.
Carrick to continue as Man United head coach until 2028
Manchester United have appointed Michael Carrick as their permanent manager on a contract until 2028, the Premier League club said on Friday, rewarding the former midfielder for the club’s turnaround in fortunesin less than half a season.
The 44-year-old Englishman has guided United to 11 victories in 16 matches, including wins over Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea, to climb to third in the Premier League and seal a berth in next season’s Champions League.
“From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride,” Carrick said in a statement.
“Throughout the past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.
“Now it’s time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose.”
Initially appointed on an interim basis to replace Ruben Amorim, the former United midfielder has exceeded expectations and transformed the mood around Old Trafford, with the club’s players backing him for the job.
From our partners
Disclaimer : This story is auto aggregated by a computer programme and has not been created or edited by DOWNTHENEWS. Publisher: www.smh.com.au







